Posted: October 15, 2013 Filed under: Art, Creations, DIY, Explorations, How-to, That Totally Worked | Tags: costume, costuming, dress, duct tape, eak, eleanor, hoop, hoop skirt, hula hoops, skirt
Eleanor and I spent this weekend working on her Halloween costume. Part of what she planned was a ‘hoop skirt’, but as you can imagine no commercially available hoop skirt met her exacting standards of design and quality — and also my exacting budgetary requirements. Naturally, we decided to take the DIY route! And, we pondered, what goes into a hoop skirt? HOOPS, obviously!
We picked up a used dress at The Garment District (our local vintage/costume/cheapo clothing mecca), a set of three hula-hoops, and some leopard-print duct tape. The smallest hula hoop became the bottom (largest) hoop for the skirt; the other two had to be dramatically resized smaller (via pliers, dremel, duct tape). We started construction from the waist down, with a nylon web belt with a parachute snap buckle. From there, we hung each hoop with repositionable blue painters tape, and balanced each one until it was level. Then Eleanor secured each hoop in place at the right height with duct tape.
And presto! A hoop skirt made with real hoops! (and duct tape, of course!)
Posted: February 11, 2013 Filed under: Art, Creations, Explorations, That Totally Worked | Tags: art, fire, flame, flames, lantern, LED, LEDs, light, lights
This past January (2013), I created “Firelight”, a lantern that shines with the light of a simulated fire.
The lantern contains over a hundred LEDs, a microcontroller, a battery pack, and custom software. The software monitors the remaining power in the batteries, and as the voltage slowly runs down, the flames burn lower, finally dying into embers as the batteries die.
I presented the Firelight lantern at the Veracode winter Hackathon, where I lit it, and then gently blew on the coals to kindle a flame. I’ve had a few requests to build more of these lanterns for other people, and I’m considering it, but haven’t made a decision yet. More pictures are here.
Posted: November 1, 2012 Filed under: Creations, Explorations, That Totally Worked | Tags: arduino, art, blinky, DIY, fastspi, fastspiled, Halloween, LED, LEDs, light, TLT
Over this past summer, I built “The Lightning Tree” — a 13-foot-tall steel and aluminum tree covered in hundreds of programmable LEDs. Normally, The Lightning Tree slowly cycles through animations depicting the different seasons of the year, but for Halloween I reprogrammed it full of wild purples and oranges, and planted it in our front yard!
It attracted and delighted kids and grown-ups throughout Halloween night, but the time the sun rose, it had disappeared, like all things ephemeral and magic. (To be clear: it disappeared in a good way, as Black Rock City does.)
Posted: July 3, 2012 Filed under: Creations, DIY, Explorations, That Totally Worked | Tags: arduino, blinky, creations, decor, DIY, glow, glowy, LED, LEDs, light, RGB, sculpture
After months of work, “Five Elements”, my first full light sculpture debuted this weekend at a private event. This quick video shows a short clip of each ‘element’; the actual five-element cycle is 12 minutes long, repeating each of the five elements five times each hour. As with any “version 1.0”, I have a dozen ways I’d like to polish and keep improving it, but I’m happy with it as is, too.
It’s illuminated by 150 RGB LEDs and controlled by an Arduino Uno using the FastSPI_LED library and my own custom code.
The installation at the debut event used a very different diffuser which made the LEDs more visible. While both were good, I think I prefer this diffuser overall.